Friday, July 10, 2009

Only in Canada, eh?

As I write this I am on my way to visit my family in Cape Breton, a three hour drive from my home in Halifax. If you are reading this it means I was successful in my attempts to get on my parents "dial-up".

I left work early today. I had to. We have been inundated with clouds, rain, cold, wet, damp, overcast weather for the last - say three weeks. The sun finally graced us with it's presence yesterday, and I decided it was high time for me to get myself a little bit of Vitamin D lovin's.
So, I packed up my bags, hopped on a bus & headed downtown to wait for my drive to CB. I sat on the bus reflecting on how much fun my weekend home will be in the country. How excited my niece and nephew will be to see their "Antie Dale".

I was jolted out of my daydream when we happened upon a most spectacular sight to behold. I must tell you, not living or working downtown, I'm not affected much by the hype and excitement of events and happenings that go on in the summertime in downtown Halifax. As the bus went by the "commons", as it is so affectionately known - our large green-space intended for games of baseball, soccer, frisbee or just simply to hang out in, I couldn't help by feel the energy as I looked at the throngs of people mulling about. Sir Paul arrived in town today to perform at an outdoor concert tomorrow night. Worker bees were busily transforming the commons, setting up the stage (which I must say is quite impressive), cordoning off the perimeter, setting up beer tents and getting things in place for the 60+thousand fans.

As we continued downtown you could tell there had been a recent influx of people. Cars waiting at intersections for the masses to cross, people wandering around with various styles of cameras hanging around their necks, looking up and down the streets taking in the sights. It is sure to be a fantastic weekend. Sir Paul even admitted to coming to Halifax to coincide with our "Tall Ships 2009" festival, which starts next Thursday. He undoubtedly will partake in these festivities too. It all seems so overwhelmingly exciting - the buzz in the air is intoxicating, and I feel a little nostalgic for some live Beatle tunes that I grew up on, ones he will no doubt be performing tomorrow night. I wonder momentarily if I made the right decision to 'book out of town' in the hope for a more quiet and peaceful weekend of sun, sand & sea.

This is not Sir Paul's first visit. He and his then wife, Heather Mills-McCartney, were her a couple of years ago, though not on musician business. They came in protest - to speak out against something that has been in the culture of our aboriginal peoples for centuries - the annual seal hunt. Now I'm a firm believer that people should be entitled to their own opinion, but for some certain activists to use their fame status to make a point and for those that climb on the backs of those using the same - just seems a little 'fishy' to me. Oh yes, seals are very cute, but so are pigs and chickens. Why is he not up in arms against KFC, or Maple Lodge Farms. Is it because these animals are bred for a purpose - to be slaughtered? They've been given a death sentence before they've even been born? Well, I'm sorry Sir Paul, but murder is murder is murder. And for that matter, what about the poor innocent soy plants that never had a chance? Your diet of tofu & lentils is sure to offend someone. (Especially about 1/2 hour after you've finished eating...pfft!)

I guess you can say I feel strongly about culture. However, I also believe to each his own; as long as you are respectful and not 'forcing your will' or ideology on someone, fine. But to force his opinions on matters where, in my opinion he had no business, is just not cool. Is this why I choose not to go to his concert? Perhaps sub-consciously. Perhaps it was the couple of hundred of bucks I'd have to dish out to go. I'm really not sure.

When my bus finally made it downtown I decided to spend my afternoon in the Public Gardens...a lovely little garden spot with tonnes of greenery, a pond and a royal swan in the heart of the city. I noticed a lot of security and policemen around. Then I recognized a photographer from our local newspaper and realized - hey, Sir Paul must be staying at The Lord Nelson Hotel, right across from the Gardens. My heart began to pound when I thought I might just catch a glimpse of him - or better yet, have an opportunity to take his picture.

With camera in hand I sat in the park across from the hotel, waiting, and wondering. If I had the opportunity to take his picture, what would I say to him? "Thank you for letting me take your photograph, Sir Paul, I shall frame it and place it above my dining room table so you can look down on me while I feast on my freshly slaughtered sealmeat."

NOTE: This post is not intended to offend anyone, if it has, I apologize.

NOTE TO SELF: Try being a little easier on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment