Thursday, July 23, 2009

Do You Buy Your Veggies AND Eat Them Too?

Grocery shopping. As much as I love food, you would think this is one of my favorite activities. NOT! When I head into the market I always go in with the best of intentions. I think that if I buy only lots and lots of fresh healthy food, I will only eat healthy, fresh food. I never anticipate that I will let the fresh fruit and vegetables spoil because I made a hundred excuses why not to prepare them. Guess what I always eat first? The one product that will probably last four months in the fridge. The cheese. Oh how I love my cheese. What’s worse is this is not a new pattern. It has been going on for ages. It’s like every trip to the grocery store is a brand new experience. A fresh start on making better food choices, so let’s buy lots of fresh, perishable foods. So I buy the food and make excuses why not to cook or eat them. Oh the guilt and don’t think I don’t hear my mother’s voice – There are starving children all over the world, now eat your veggies!”

Also, I think every shopping trip is the last one for the next several weeks so I buy excessively. (It’s clearly that same issue of moderation or lack there of). I crack myself up because as I am putting stacks of lettuce, beans, bell peppers tomatoes, cilantro, etc. I know it is not going to last. I am fully aware that it would be impossible to eat everything before it spoils. I would have to be feeding all of Jon and Kate’s plus eight plus their dates and the entire staff too, maybe even the whole damn network in order to not be wasteful.

It’s bad enough that I am an excessive food shopper; I am also a peeping cart watcher. I enjoy peeking into other shopper’s carts. I love to see what food choices they made. God forbid I may have I missed a goodie on special. I am so fascinated with the psychology of humans; I certainly made the wrong career choice. Of course, then I am ashamed to admit how judgmental I am of other peoples shopping choices. I get ticked off when I see some skinny gal pushing a cart loaded with all my favorites such as, numerous types and flavors of breads, all the cheese groups, wine, pastas and a few chocolates too. How dare her! Then there is the one that isn’t skinny and has not one healthy food in her cart. I silently mutter something to myself. I am embarrassed to admit how shallow I can, but truthful too. (Another posting in the works)

Actually since starting this “self-discovery” journey, I have become aware of my shopping habits. And with lots of effort, I really have made significant progress. Wastefulness is not in line with many of my goals. So, I now pretend I am only shopping for three meals in five days. Occasionally I hit the Farmer’s Market. Surprisingly it works! I have cut back tremendously on the waste and I still do not need to shop any more frequently. Apparently, I can use the food in my cupboards to prepare more meals. Let me tell you it takes some serious practice and discipline to not put every colorful piece of fruit into my cart and sometimes I have to make another loop in the store to put items back. As far as the being a cart peeper, well that’s still another story.

NOTE TO SELF: Mind your own business in the market!

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny Kat - I used to do the very same thing - more veggies in the compost then in my belly. It takes a great deal of discipline to stop oneself from being impulsive, because for me that's really what it is all about - being impulsive. 'I really like the colour of those pineapples, gotta have 'em!' Now when I go shopping I take my time and ask myself to be honest for each and every item (perisible) - will I really eat it and if so, when? Exactly when, for what meal, or snack. It usually works, but can be a bit of a fight with myself if things look too yummy.

    ReplyDelete