Thursday, June 25, 2009

Magazines - Do They Really Work?

Tomorrow is my weigh in day, end of week two. Even with all the ups and downs, evil mood swings and the pity pot I was resting on, it still was a decent week. Did I lose weight? Not sure as last week was a five pound loss so if anything has been lost, it will be a bonus. Also, I get my one day free as long as there is a lower number on the scale, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am constantly looking for ways to keep myself motivated. Recently I had some frequent flyer miles that were expiring and to the dismay of my mailman I cashed them in on magazine subscriptions. As I subscribed to these, it is with the best of intentions that I actually read them. I envision myself sitting back with a cup of tea, uninterrupted as I am relaxing with my feet up, slowly flipping through the pages and taking in all the fabulous advice. Since I am hell bent on making these positive and lasting changes in my life I figured the magazines would be a great incentive to keep me on target. I have a nice balance with Health, Body + Soul, Money, Wine Spectator and Sunset.

So far that relaxing scenario has not happened. The closest I have come is to shuffle though the stack and review the covers. As I am sitting here looking at them, I am trying to decide which one to read first. They all have amazing covers with gorgeous photos and catchy tag lines. Wow, this is more than motivation, I actually could be a whole new me in no time at all! Then I kind of wonder who they are targeting as their audience? Seriously check out just a few of the tag lines on these current issues:

1. Eat Your Way Slim
2. Shrink Your Belly (in just 9 minutes)
3. No-Sweat Workout
4. Dan Aykrod on Wine
5. Go from Fired to Hired
6. How to Profit in the New Economy
7. Walk a Little – Lose a Lot
8. The Healing Power of Wine
9. The Natural Cure for Cellulite
10.Create Your Perfect Space

Really? Really? Let me tell you, anyone that is interested in a “No-Sweat Workout”, or “Walking a Little to Lose A lot” is not interested in working out or maintaining a healthy lifestyle! "Eat Your Way Slim"? Who the hell are they targeting with that one? On A second thought, I tried to eat myself thin, oops, I gained thirty pounds. "Dan Aykrod on Wine"? Does that mean he’s drunk? Because if I was really interested in leaning about wines, I don’t think Dan Aykrod would be the expert I would turn to. "Profit in the New Economy". You mean the new busted economy? Profit, from who? Nobody has any damn money, so if you are making a profit from someone in this economy, isn’t that a bit immoral and isn’t that what got our economy into trouble?

I am hoping that I will soon get the opportunity to sit back, have my tea, put my feet up and absorb the wealth of information within these pages lined with beautiful photos. Because once I have read these magazines and follow the ever so simple, not time committing suggestions, no later than August, I should;

a. Have a flat stomach
b. More money in the bank,
c. Be 30 pounds lighter without breaking a sweat
d. Be healthier from red wine
e. Have smooth cellulite free legs
f. And be a whole new me

I will keep you posted as the transformations come about.

NOTE TO SELF: Read magazines ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment